What is the Parent Teacher Association (PTA)?
The PTA is a group of parents and teachers who volunteer their time to devise and organise fund-raising events for the school. These events provide a great opportunity for parents and children to socialise out of school hours and have fun. The money raised through these activities directly benefits all the children at the school, and goes directly towards extra-curricular activities, outings and additional items needed by the school.
Introducing the PTA Committee
Chairperson – Jointly managed by members
Secretary – Suzy Conway
Treasurer – Tricia McKeever
Shelley Pasiak, Suzy Conway, Tricia McKeever, Manuela Bohatsch, Jill Davis, Amy Temple- Long, Jo Workman, Esther Down, Jennie Maybury.
What we do
Last year we raised over £3300 following a calendar of disco and fayre events.
This enabled us to fund:
- DARE an educational drug awareness programme delivered to year 6 – £462
- Ukulele’s for music lessons – £306
- The Eggs to Chicks project that the children in year 1 enjoy every year – £405
- The purchase of a shed for the EYFS Forest School clothing – £400
- £50 given to each class at Christmas time to purchase much needed supplies/ educational tools – £700
Additionally we have a budget of £6000 set aside to purchase the outdoor learning space in discussions over the last few year – watch this space.
What we are fundraising for in 2020
This year the main focus of our fundraising is for an outdoor classroom. This will provide a sheltered quiet area for the children to enjoy during playtimes, as well as being an additional area for classes to go for lessons, when a change of environment will support learning. It can also be a great way to end the day for a class to have story time outside. It will be for children of all year groups, so everyone will get the chance to benefit from this wonderful addition to our school.
A further bonus is that it will also provide a shelter for children and parents before and after school should the weather be too wet or, dare I suggest it, too sunny! There are many different styles and designs to choose from but the total cost will be in excess of £6,000. Whilst we will be exploring other possibilities for funding to support this, we hope you will all be able to play your part and support us as we try to make our school even better.
How can you help?
The PTA only exists through volunteers, so if you can spare any time at all, even if it is just for an hour, it will be much appreciated.
- Joining the PTA committee, the next meeting will be listed in the news letter, so come along and see what we do
- Becoming a helper. We have a list of helpers who volunteer to help out at events, setting up, decorating, helping serve refreshments etc
- Letting us know your ideas for fundraising or your children’s ideas
- Your skills – do you have any skills, face painting, arts and craft, that you can bring to an event that the children would enjoy doing?
Where can I find more PTA information?
- The notice board just outside the main entrance to school
- The School website www.southwilford.nottingham.sch.uk Find the PTA page is via the ‘Our school family’ link
- We also have a South Wilford School Parent Teacher Association page on Facebook that you can join.