Our RE curriculum intent mainly comes from our ‘Statement of Entitlement’ as a C of E school. It addresses the following key areas of entitlement which we will provide for our children:
- To know about and understand Christianity as a diverse global living faith through the exploration of core beliefs using an approach that critically engages with biblical text
- To gain knowledge and understanding of a range of religions and worldviews appreciating diversity, continuity and change within the religions and worldviews being studied
- To engage with challenging questions of meaning and purpose raised by human existence and experience
- To recognise the concept of religion and its continuing influence on Britain’s cultural heritage and in the lives of individuals and societies in different times, cultures and places.
- To explore their own religious, spiritual and philosophical ways of living, believing and thinking
Our vision for RE at South Wilford is that our Christian ethos and values are present and apparent throughout every lesson taught in every subject. We envisage RE lessons being used as a vehicle to develop the children socially, emotionally, spiritually and morally alongside their PSHE work and collective worship reflections. Our vision includes RE being taught at a cross-curricular level and woven throughout English, Topic, Art, Music and Outdoor learning, as our Christian Values can be linked to these subject areas. We wish for our school to continue to develop the children’s appreciation, knowledge and understanding of cultural diversity and their awareness of other faiths and beliefs than their own to aid their holistic development and readiness for adult life.
- Clear curriculum map for all year groups
- 1 session of RE weekly across whole school
- Many cross curricular links and opportunities, such as singing assemblies, English opportunities and daily worship
- Corridor/classroom displays (for engagement and learning)
- Letters to parents (about significant events such as Harvest Festival)
- Curriculum information updated on website (Whole School Curriculum Overview)
- Pupil voice surveys to evaluate, inform and develop teaching and learning in RE
- Whole School events EG Christmas Festivals
- Enrichment opportuntiees such as visits to Mosques, Churches and collective worship opportunities weekly
- CPD for staff – School curriculum INSET, RE Leaders courses, Faith collaboration INSET days
- RE big book in each class
- Multi-faith marketplace
At South Wilford, we use the Nottingham Agreed Syllabus to learn in depth about the following faiths and belief systems:
We also study comparative themes across the faiths studied. Please see our curriculum for more information.
Please see our Christian Distinctiveness page for details about our distinctively Christian events, pupil leadership and enrichment.